Ok so its been a bit waiting on the last parts of the brake upgrade to ship from mopar. The mopar J8 brake booster/master cylinder and some extended brake lines.
The Jeep J8 is a military vehicle based off the wrangler platform, assembled in Egypt and Israel. The stock Jeep wrangler has a payload cap of around 1,000lbs. The J8 master cylinder/booster combined with the upgraded axles and suspension should give me a payload capacity of nearly 3,000lbs if I were on the same frame that they use in the J8. Nearest I can tell payload for mine should be right around 2,000lbs or roughly double the fully loaded weight I'm currently sitting at.
I did not install this myself, never having installed or replaced a brake booster/master cylinder and it being a specialty part with zero write ups on the web to follow I choose to have Jeep to the work. They took a long ass time (Jeep was there 5 days as they had to "fit me in") and one of the extended brake lines was leaking when I got home, removing the line, cleaning the threads and reinstalling fixed this up though. Anyways....lesson learned...probably should have just bought a scan tool to bleed the ABS, master cylinder and done it myself.
Every write up on the web said that with the Teraflex kit I went with the J8 brakebooster/MC is recommended but not needed and I can confirm its not needed. If you want proper brake pedal firmness it is. Now without the booster is stopped great no worries there but it felt mushy and almost as if you needed to double pump the brake, you didn't but there was so much travel it made you feel that way. It held 4lo with lockers on downhill slope just fine.
Now with the J8 upgrade installed hooooly shit she stops fast. Below is a quick test video I made. 35mph - 0mph in the width of my driveway. I wanted to see how short she'd stop unloaded without the activating the ABS.
I'm impressed with how fast she stops. Every time I come to a stop sign I'm waiting till what it feels like is the last second to hit the brakes and she stops in like 1/2 the distance I guessed. It really is amazing how much better she feels hauling around all the added weight.
So from here all thats left to do is move the air compressor under the passenger seat (doesnt fit with the new master cylinder/brake booster anymore), move the ham radio out from under the passenger seat to up under the dash, add some rock lights and add some ditch lights under the rack.
What about the snorkel, you did not mention the snorkel?
lol the snorkel.........she will return at some point. I just got tired of explaining it to random people, who aren't a part of the off-road community, what the joke is. It doesnt seem to translate well.
Rock Lights (KC Cyclones x6) Rack/Ditch lights (KC C2's x4) Re-mount ARB Compressor inside (doesn't fit in engine bay anymore) Rear Chase bar (ability to strobe amber lights)
Mount tablet and try to start using Gaia more
Method Flush center caps for wheels
These may or may not happen RTT (unsure of type and size as of yet. Leaning towards James Baroud Explorer but there are some definite draw backs like lack of annex) Rethinking Rack, may go with the Gobi Stealth Rack.
Love this! I’m still looking to do a dual battery system, or solar panels. Curious about mounting the arb compressor in the cab. Would like to do the same in the Tacoma.
1992 US Olympic Team VO #0172 KJ7BOH IG: @dlo8168 Twitter: @dlo81688 2001Toyota Tacoma